Trip to Cuba - B. Beierbeck
$200 prize - S. Andreschefski
$100 prize - J. Matechuk
Congratulations to our winners :)
Please note, that due to the musical, here are no early morning rehearsals March 13 - 24.
Early morning classes will resume March 27 :)
Don't forget about our mandatory Symphonic Band class tomorrow at 7:15 - 8:45 am. We will be having a workshop with Mr. Gareth Jones from the University of Calgary and percussionist Andrew Ball. Please be early to set up and be ready to play at 7:15 am sharp. Thank you for your dedication to this.
A friendly reminder that band 10-12 playing tests (for all Grade 10 - 12 students, even J-block only students) were due today on Google Classroom. Please ensure you have done these tests before the break so you can rest and relax over the holiday! :) There are also Jazz Band and Pit recording tests to do, but they are not due until March 7th. If you would like to work on these early you are welcome to, but the official assignment date to begin these is February 28. I will put them up on Google Classroom right away for any of you who wish to get them done early.
Google Classroom code reminders:
Band 10: 3vrgfx
Band 20: qofpjv3
Band 30: 1dhpd16
Jazz 1: hvu0nko
Jazz 2: 1sjcwa
Pit orchestra: 63sis5
Happy practicing and recording. Thank you for your work on these.
A reminder that there are Jazz 1 Clinics @ 7:15 am tomorrow, Thursday, November 3 @ 7:15 am
That means there is NO Jazz 2, due to Vic Lewis festival prep
** Jazz 1 also has a dress rehearsal Friday, November 4 @ 7:15 am.
Thank you for your understanding, dedication and support with this. :)
See you bright and early.
Vic Lewis Updates
* Please note a few important things about the festival:
1. Students are responsible for their own lunch on Sunday afternoon. Please have them bring money to buy themselves something downtown Canmore.
2. Students will be storing their luggage in the Learning Commons Green Room on Friday morning. They will not have access to this luggage during the day.
3. We ask that students bring their uniform on a hanger and store it in the band room on our coat rack in our back hallway. They will need to change into their uniform before we leave the school, as we perform as soon as we get to Canmore.
4. We will be swimming Friday night. Please ensure your child has their own towel and swim suit.
5. We will be walking outside for a while both Saturday and Sunday. Please ensure your child has warm, layered clothing - including something for their head and their hands. We are going to be outside for a while in the winter in the mountains. Thank you for helping ensure they are warm.
6. If you have volunteered as a chaperone, you should have received an email from me already to confirm that you are coming or not. Please email me if I missed you. I am sorry if I have missed you. We had 12 parents volunteer, and can only take a max of 6. Chaperones will meet at the school at 1:00pm to go over the trip details and assign chaperone duties.
7. We are packing the bus at 1:30pm and leaving for Canmore at 2:00pm. Percussionists and string players will need to help pack all of our equipment between 1-1:30. All students are asked to be in the band room immediately after school. Thank you!
8. Some students still owe $10 for their hoodie. Please bring this payment tomorrow: $10 cash or a cheque made payable to Cochrane High School. We cannot do this fee on school cash.
9. We will be arriving home around 7:30 pm to the school on Sunday. We will notify you through your child (by text or calling) if we will be late. Please ensure your child has a ride home from the school promptly at 7:30pm, as I would like to go home to family.
10. We have Jazz 1 clinics tomorrow, Thursday @ 7:15 am, and our dress rehearsal on Friday @ 7:15 am. I apologize for all the early mornings this week... we are almost through the festival week!!! Thank you for your help ensuring your child is here.
** That means there is No Jazz 2 tomorrow.
Vic Lewis Forms - Due October 7
Help our program out by supporting this unique fundraising opportunity! 8th Annual Charity Poker Tournament. Saturday, October 15, 2016 @ 6pm (player check in at 5:45). Details below!
Hawaii Tour Forms - Due October 13
Please find attached our introduction letter, information forms, RVSD forms, and Parent/Student Check list. Remember that forms and deposits must be made by October 13. Thank you! :)
Please visit https://classroom.google.com and enter the code below to be signed up for our Google Classroom Class group.
Grade 10 Code: 3vrgfx
Grade 11 Code: qofpjv3
Grade 12 Code: 1dhpd16
* You will all have time during class tomorrow and Friday to record yourself playing your test. Any tests not done in class will need to be recorded at home. Please bring a phone/laptop to record yourself with. Recordings must be in video format.
E-Flat Chromatic Scale Playing test
Due Friday, September 30 (Take 1) and Take 2 Due on Thursday, October 6
Record yourself by Video (no garage band please) and upload your video to Google Classroom. Remember that I need to see you playing your instrument in the video - I need to see embouchures, hands, mallets, strings, etc. Thank you! :)
* Wind and string instruments:
Perform the E-flat chromatic scale up and down, twice, back to back in one exercise/ recording.
1st time all tongued
2nd time all slurred (except legato for strings and trombones)
Tempo: Quarter note = 96-120
1st time: in sixteenth notes (in paradiddles alternating notes)
E-flat, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, B-flat
L R L L R L R R
2nd time: one group of four sixteenth notes for each paradiddle group
E-flat, E-flat, E-flat, E-flat, E, E, E, E, F, F, F, F
L R L L R L R R L R L L
* Students will all receive feedback after their 1st Take, and then will re-record and be given a mark after their 2nd take. Marks will be a combination of the two takes, taking in to consideration the level of improvement between takes.
* Remember that tests not submitted by the due date will receive a mark of Zero until the test is completed and has been able to be assessed. Students can do a re-test if they wish to get a higher mark. Re-tests will be accepted up until two weeks before the end of each term.
Good luck! Happy practicing.
Mrs. Waterbury :)