There is a free hands on workshop happening tonight that I could not remind the students about today since I was ill.
Please consider going to this wonderful FREE band workshop tonight from 7-10:30pm with the Cochrane Music Society. A couple of our graduates from last year play in the ensemble, and I know it will be a fun workshop. Dr. Dale Lonis is one of my favourite conductors and music educators and we are so lucky to have the opportunity to send our students for free!! Bring your instruments and be ready to sight read along with them :)
Location: Bow Valley High School
** Bring your instruments
Important Notes regarding tomorrow (Tuesday, December 1) & the Optimist Concert Wednesday, December 2:
* There are both Symphonic Band and Choir rehearsals tomorrow morning at 7:15 am in preparation for our Optimist Concert performances on Wednesday. Please ensure your child is on time for these rehearsals.
* If your child is in both ensembles, they will go to band from 7:15 - 7:45 am, and choir from 7:45 - 8:45 am :) Thank you so much for your help ensuring your child is in attendance for these important rehearsals (and on time to start rehearsing at 7:15 am sharp)! :)
** A reminder that there will be a dress rehearsal for Symphonic Band during Period 2 on Wednesday (please communicate this with your period 2 teacher) and be in attendance.
*** Permission forms for the Optimist Concert are still outstanding from over 30 students!! Even if you have purchased tickets to the concert, your child is still not allowed to come on the bus and come to the concert without a permission form. Thank you for ensuring these are in by tomorrow at the latest.
** Tickets for the Optimist concert can be picked up tomorrow, if you have not done so already. Please come to see me in the Music Office between 11:30 - 3:30pm tomorrow and I will get you your tickets. Tickets are assigned by seat, and we will do our best to put all of your tickets together.
** Students must arrange their own ride home from the Optimist Concert and ensure they have their uniform, music, instrument, and a bagged dinner with them. They will have an opportunity to change and eat dinner at the Jubilee between our dress rehearsal and the mass band/choir dress rehearsal. Please ensure their bagged lunch does not have to be heated. There is no where to purchase any dinner.
** Students will be released from the concert at approximately 10:15 pm. Students are to meet their parents in the lobby of the Jubilee and not at the back stage door.
Can't wait for this amazing night!!! :)
Mrs. Waterbury, and Mr. Talen
- All students must arrive no later than 2:30 pm to the school.
- Percussionists need to be at school no later than 2:15pm for packing
- Chaperones will have a meeting at the school at 2:00pm
- We Will be opening the school so that students can pack up instruments, equipment and get anything they need from their lockers. The school will not be open any earlier than 2:00pm. We Do not have keys to any classrooms other than the band room.
* Upon arrival, students will need to:
1. Place their luggage and large instruments in the bench area outside the outer band room doors. There will be a chaperone there guiding you.
2. Check in with the attendance chaperone by the green couch outside the band room door
3. Go inside to the band room, and Follow instructions from their music teachers and chaperones to help load equipment onto the bus.
4. All students will help (assembly line fashion) to load one bin full of equipment, and two bins full of luggage and instruments.**
5. Once everything is loaded, student may then (when told to) load the bus with their personal backpack and smaller instrument. Anything trumpet size or smaller goes in the overhead bins on the bus (not underneath).
- Students will arrive back to the school at approximately 8:30pm. This is dependent on bus packing time and road conditions.
* Please ensure you are available to pick up your child on time, so that we can also go home at a decent hour. We appreciate your help with this. If we are running a lot later than 8:30pm, we will send a notification out through email asap and put it on the music website: www.cochranehighmusic.com under "News"
** ALL students are asked to stay to help unload the bus, move equipment back into the school, and reset up the band room prior to leaving. We appreciate your help with this, so that there is not a small group of student stuck doing it by themselves. We also need to ensure the room is back to normal and clean for our rehearsals/classes which begin at 7:15 am the next morning! Thank you for your time & help with this! :)
Packing List MUSTS:
* Ensure your child has their instrument, music, portable music stand (will be provided to them), pencil, eraser, extra reeds, cleaning and repair kit/supplies specific to their instrument. We cannot provide reeds at camp, so please ensure your child has more than one!
* Please only pack one Small Suitcase/Duffle bag and a Sleeping Bag/Pillow in a labeled garbage bag. OR one Large suitcase/duffle bag with the sleeping bag and pillow inside. We need to fit a Lot on One bus and cannot have too much luggage.
* Homework, study material or a book to read during quiet mandatory study sessions.
* Warm clothing/weather appropriate clothing. (It will snow while we are there and students need to stay warm and dry). Good waterproof outdoor shoes are highly recommended.
* Sleeping Bag and pillow (inside a labeled garbage bag, or inside their suitcase/duffle bag). Sheet is optional if you wish and can fit it.
* Indoor shoes/slippers/socks. No bare feet or outside shoes are allowed in any indoor space.
* Flashlight/Head lamp
* Bath towel/shampoo/conditioner/soap/deoderant (NO Collogne or perfume is allowed on the trip please and thank you!)
* Medication (labeled with students name)
* Water bottle for rehearsals and activities (students only have water / juice at meal times and need to fill up their own water bottle during those times for the rest of the days' activities).
* Extra Snacks and/or money to buy snacks and swag from the Moose Junction General Store.
NO NUTS/PEANUTS of any kind are allowed on camp grounds. We get charged a lot of money for sanitation if anyone brings them.
** Electronics are brought at student's own risk. We highly encourage students to keep their electronics at home! We are not responsible or liable for lost, stolen, broken, or damaged items. There is also very poor cell service out there, and no internet. We would love to see the kids off of their electronics and enjoying the wonder of camp! :)
Thank you so much for your time and help ensuring this trip is safe and enjoyable for all! We can't wait for this wonderful trip full of great memories, learning, and music making!
Mrs. April Waterbury, and Mr. Jander Talen
Parent Information and CHSBPA AGM
Sept. 17th, 7 pm in the CHS Lyceum
There are 4 Fundraising Opportunities available right now to take advantage of for your child's own personal band bucks account! :)
1. SUTP Coupon Books - available through Nichola Sollid (403.709.0072)
Coupon Books are $20 and $9.50 goes into your student account. Mrs. Sollid has Coupon Book envelopes you can fill out with customer orders. Once customer money is collected, please hand back the envelop and money to Mrs. Waterbury, and Mrs. Sollid will fill your orders and return the sold books to you asap to give to your customers!
2. Grocery Card Program - Dorothy Ellergodt email@example.com (403.651.4117)
We buy Co-op, Safeway and Loblaws (Superstore, No Frills & Extra Foods) gift cards. This is easy as we all buy groceries and gas. They are available year round and are accepted wherever the stores are. The Safeway and Co-op cards are good for grocery and gas, but not at the liquor stores. These cards are accepted across Canada too! :)
This is also good to use all year. Great for getting everything else your household is in need of.
Doing some renovations? Need new appliances? Clothes for those teens that never seem to stop growing? Gifts for the hard to please in-laws….
Cards can be ordered online, in your choice of denomination, delivered to your mailbox.
And the benefits go into your child’s band account. Easy….
4. Jamberry Nail wraps, gel system and Nail Care
Go to www.aprilwaterbury.jamberrynails.net to see our amazing selection of Nail wraps, gel lacquer, gel system, and nail/hand care products.
Order through Mrs. Waterbury and get the product packaged up for you with free shipping.
OR order right online and get the product shipped directly to you!
** Sell to family & friends anywhere in North America and starting soon, anyone in Australia/ New Zealand! :) They can order directly from the website. Purchase under the party "Cochrane Back to School Party" or "Cochrane _________ Party". Tell Mrs. Waterbury who ordered online, and the profit will be added to your individual band account! :)
Please sign up for Remind Messaging, so that you do not miss out on important information, reminders, rehearsal cancellations, etc. This is a safe platform for all to use and will allow us to have communication quickly out to all participants. You Must sign up yourself, as I cannot add you to the messaging system myself. Parent are welcome to add themselves to the remind as well.
To Add Remind to your Phone (to receive messages by Text Message)
* And this will register you to receive messages for just the grade 10 band class
To Add Remind to your Email (to receive messages by email):
*And this will register you to receive email messages for just the grade 10 band
Senior Jazz 1 - Begins on Tuesday, September 8 @ 7:15 - 8:45 am
Symphonic Band - Begins on Wednesday, September 9 @ 7:15 - 8:45 am
Choir - Begins with Mr. Talen on Wednesday, September 9 @ 3:30 - 5:15 pm
Intermediate Jazz 2 - Begins on Thursday, September 10 @ 7:15 - 8:45 am
Junior Jazz 3 - Begins on Monday, September 14 @ 7:15 - 8:45 am
** Please arrive early to set up and warm-up. Early morning rehearsals promptly begin at 7:15 am. Students are responsible for being on time for the sake of the entire ensemble.